In one of his beautiful Dohas Sant Kabir Das ji says:
“Pothi Padh Padh Kar Jag Mua, Pandit Bhayo Na Koye;
Dhai Aakhar Prem Ke, Jo Padhe so Pandit Hoye.”
Literal Translation: Reading books where everyone died, none became anymore wise; one who reads the word of Love, only becomes wise.
My understanding: Caught up in the bookish knowledge of words, thoughts and concepts in the mind, nobody attained immortality. Nobody transcended time. Nobody became free. No one became wise. But one who attained love, he only became wise.
So Sant Kabir ji is saying : The Secret of Wisdom is Love!
In another doha Sant Kabir ji tells more about this Love:
“Akath Kahani Prem Ki, Kutch Kahi Na Jaye
Goonge Keri Sarkara, Baithe Muskae”
Literal Translation: Inexpressible is the story of Love, it cannot be revealed by words. Like a dumb person after eating sweet sugar can not tell the sweetness of sugar but can only smile.
Love is beyond words (Nama) and forms (Rupa).
Love that Sant Kabir is talking about is the pure, unconditional love.
Love is dropping all thoughts, ideas, notions, concepts, impressions in mind.
Love is dropping all feverishness, desires, fears, expectations, attachments, entanglements, lust, obsession, greed, jealousy, anger, arrogance and so on.
Love is connecting totally with something or someone.
Love is dissolving and merging completely.
Love is being totally in the PRESENT moment.
Love is being 100%.
Love is being ONE with.
Now, what is ‘Wisdom’?
Wisdom has three aspects:
(1) Realizing the truth or understanding.
(2) Assimilating the truth or applying the knowledge.
(3) Expressing the assimilated truth or knowledge.
(1) Understanding is a non-verbal phenomenon. Understanding is subtler than the words. It is subtler than thought. Understanding can happen only if you are totally connected with the object of understanding. Suppose you are reading a book. You can understand the message in the book only when you totally with the words in the book, dropping all your mental pre-occupations, concepts and ideas. Realization happens only when the mind is Silent. Sri Sri Ravishankarji says, “Purpose of words is to create silence.” And this Silence can happen only in state of deep love. So when you love your subject then only you can understand it. Young children have much more grasping power than grown-up adults because children have no strong concepts in mind and they are in love with everything around them.
(2) For the Knowledge to become part of daily life one should love the Knowledge, should love for one Self and should have love for the world around. Love has a tremendous power to integrate everything. Love integrates knowledge into life. It is only love which can transform knowledge into wisdom.
(3) A Wise person can express the knowledge and help others realize it only when he has love in his heart for the knowledge and for those who will benefit by this knowledge. The Guru or the Master has unconditional love in his heart for all. Only because of this love the Master can understand others and modify his expression so that others can understand what he wants to convey. Only because of this love, the Guru’s words can bring about that silence of understanding in the minds of listeners.
When we are experiencing pure, unconditional love, our small mind is merged with the ‘Big Mind’. In love, the small mind is free from any modulations or agitations. In love, the seer, process of seeing and the scene become one. That is when understanding happens, knowledge dawns.
H.H. Sri Sri Ravishankarji says, “Pinnacle of Love is Devotion (Bhakti), and pinnacle of Devotion is Self Knowledge, Samadhi.”
The all illuminating Sun of Wisdom rises from the very center of Love and is preserved, protected by Love.
So Love is the secret of Wisdom! Be in Love with everything and everybody and be Wise